Prior to join with School of Biological Sciences, The University of Western Australia, Aria graduated from Tarbiat Modares University, Tehran, Iran where he was involved in many research projects focused on agronomy, crop stress physiology, nodulation and biological nitrogen fixation. He has also contributed to other projects such as seed physiology and climate change. Aria was awarded a grant to travel to Australia in 2012 to pass six months training research course at CILR, the University of Queensland where he was investigating the evolution and conservation of nodulation and mycorrhization genes across the Brassicaceae. Finally, he was awarded a Scholarship for International Research Fees (SIRF) and an International Living Allowance Scholarship (Ad Hoc Postgraduate Scholarship) to do a PhD at the University of Western Australia. His PhD focuses on the association of copy number variation (CNV) with phenotypic traits to characterise the relationship between CNV and resistance to the most devastating pathogen in cultivated Brassica species; Leptosphaeria maculans (blackleg). The results will provide a snapshot of CNVs in canola cultivars and will help with the identification of CNVs’ role in blackleg resistance for control of this disease.
Crop physiology, environmental stresses, nodulation and biological nitrogen fixation, plant-pathogen interactions, plant genetics and genomics.
Association of Copy Number Variation with Qualitative and Quantitative Resistance against Leptosphaeria maculans in Brassica napus
His PhD project focuses on the association of copy number variation (CNV) with phenotypic traits to characterise the relationship between CNV and resistance to the most devastating pathogen in cultivated Brassica species; Leptosphaeria maculans (blackleg). Initially, re-sequencing of genomes will be carried out for canola cultivars and then phenotypic screening with L. maculans isolates will be performed to look at qualitative and quantitative resistance. Lesion scores will be measured after inoculation on cotyledons and leaves. The genome re-sequencing data from the canola cultivars will be used for CNV detection. Then to discover the association between the CNVs and blackleg resistance, the genome-wide association will be performed. CNV will be validated through the amplification of genomic DNA and quantitative real-time polymerase chain reaction (qRT-PCR). The results will provide a snapshot of CNVs in canola cultivars and will help with the identification of CNVs’ role in blackleg resistance for control of this disease.
1. Manafi, E. Modarres Sanavy, S.A.M. Aghaalikhani, M. Dolatabadian, A.. 2015. Exogenous 5-Aminolevulenic Acid Promotes Antioxidative Defence System, Photosynthesis and Growth in Soybean against Cold Stress. Notulae Scientia Biologicae. 7: 486-494.
2. Dolatabadian, A., Modarres Sanavy, S.A.M. Ghanati, F. Gresshoff, P.M. 2013. Agrobacterium rhizogenes transformed soybean roots differ in their nodulation and nitrogen fixation response to genistein and salt stress. World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology (Formerly MIRCEN Journal of Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology). 29:1327-1339.
3. Dolatabadian, A., Modarres Sanavy, S.A.M. Gholamhoseini, M. Khodaei-Joghan, A. Majd, M. Beyraghdar-Kashkoli, A. 2013. The role of calcium in improving photosynthesis and related physiological and biochemical attributes of spring wheat subjected to simulated acid rain. Physiology and Molecular Biology of Plants. 19: 189–198.
4. Gholamhoseini, M. Ghalavand, A. Dolatabadian, A., Jamshidi, E. Khodaei-Joghan, A. 2013. Effects of arbuscular mycorrhizal inoculation on growth, yield, nutrient uptake and irrigation water productivity of sunflowers grown under drought stress. Agricultural Water Management. 117: 106–114.
5. Gholamhoseini, M. Ghalavand, A. Khodaei-Joghan, A. Dolatabadian, A., Zakikhani, H. Farmanbar, E. 2013. Zeolite-amended cattle manure effects on sunflower yield, seed quality, water use efficiency and nutrient leaching. Soil and Tillage Research. 126: 193–202.
6. Zakikhani, H. Ardakani, M.R. Rejali, F. Gholamhoseini, M. Khodaei-Joghan, A.Dolatabadian, A.. 2012. Influence of Diazotrophic Bacteria on Antioxidant Enzymes and Some Biochemical Characteristics of Soybean Subjected to Water Stress. Journal of Integrative Agriculture. 11:1828–1835.
7. Gholamhoseini, M. AghaAlikhani, M.Dolatabadian, A. Khodaei-Joghan, A. Zakikhani, H. 2012. Decreasing Nitrogen Leaching and Increasing Canola Forage Yield in a Sandy Soil by Application of Natural Zeolite. Agronomy journal. 104:1467-1475.
8. Rahimi-Dehgolan, R. Tahmasebi-Sarvestani, A. Rezazadeh, S.A.Dolatabadian, A.. 2012. Morphological and Physiological Characters of Aloe vera Subjected to Saline Water Irrigation. Journal of Herbs Spices & Medicinal Plants. 18:222-230.
9. Dolatabadian, A., Modarres Sanavy, S.A.M. Ghanati, F. Gresshoff, P.M. 2012. Morphological and physiological response of soybean treated with the microsymbiont Bradyrhizobium japonicum pre-incubated with genistein. South African Journal of Botany. 79:9–18.
10. Khodaei-Joghan, A. Ghalavand, A. Aghaalikhani, M. Gholamhoseini, M. Dolatabadian, A.. 2012. How Organic and Chemical Nitrogen Fertilizers, Zeolite, and Combinations Influence Wheat Yield and Grain Mineral Content. Journal of Crop Improvement. 26:116-129.
11. Mahdavi, B. Modarres Sanavy, S.A.M. Aghaalikhani, M. Sharifi, M.Dolatabadian, A.. 2011. Chitosan Improves Osmotic Potential Tolerance in Safflower (Carthamus tinctorius L.) Seedlings. Journal of Crop Improvement. 25:728-741.
12. Aghaalikhani, M. Gholamhoseini, M.Dolatabadian, A. Khodaei-Joghan, A. Asilan, K.S. 2011. Zeolite influences on nitrate leaching, nitrogen-use efficiency, yield and yield components of canola in sandy soil. Archives of Agronomy and Soil Science. 58:1-21.
14. Gholamhoseini, M. Ghalavand, A.Dolatabadian, A., Jamshidi, E. Khodaei-Joghan, A. 2010. Integrated fertilizer management to attain sunflower sustainable production under different irrigation regimes. Archives of Agronomy and Soil Science. 56:295-309.
15. Mahdavi, B. Modarres Sanavy, S.A.M. Saberali, S.F.Dolatabadian, A.. 2010. Influence of root-zone temperature on growth and nitrogen fixation in three Iranian grasspea landraces. Acta Agriculturae Scandinavica, Section B - Soil & Plant Science. 60:40-47.
17. Dolatabadian, A., Modarres Sanavy, S.A.M., Asilan, K.S. 2010. Effect of Ascorbic Acid Foliar Application on Yield, Yield Component and several Morphological Traits of Grain Corn under Water-Deficit Stress Conditions. Notulae Scientia Biologicae. 2:45-50.
18. Khodaei-Joghan, A. Ghalavand, A. Aghaalikhani, M. Gholamhoseini, M. Dolatabadian, A. 2010. Comparison among Different Integrated Nutrition Management for Soil Micro and Macro Elements after Winter Wheat Harvesting and Yield. Notulae Scientia Biologicae. 2: 107-111.
19. Balouchi, H.R. Modarres Sanavy, S.A.M. Emam, Y.Dolatabadian, A.. 2009. UV radiation elevated CO2 and water stress effect on growth and photosynthetic characteristics in durum wheat. Plant Soil and Environment. 55:443-453.
20. Dolatabadian, A., Modarres Sanavy, S.A.M. Sharifi, M. 2009. Effect of salicylic acid and salt on wheat seed germination. Acta Agriculturae Scandinavica, Section B - Soil & Plant Science.59:456-464.
21. Dolatabadian, A., Saleh-Jouneghani, R. 2009. Impact of Exogenous Ascorbic Acid on Antioxidant Activity and Some Physiological Traits of Common Bean Subjected to Salinity Stress. Notulae Botanicae Horti Agrobotanici Cluj-Napoca. 37: 165-172.
22. Dolatabadian, A. Modarres Sanavy, S.A.M. Sharifi, A. 2009. Alleviation of Water Deficit Stress Effects by Foliar Application of Ascorbic Acid on Zea mays L.. Journal of Agronomy and Crop Science. 195:347-355.
23. Tohidi-Moghadam, H.R. Shirani-Rad, A.H. Nour-Mohammadi, G. Habibi, D. Modarres-Sanavy, S.A.M. Mashhadi-Akbar-Boojar M. Dolatabadian, A. 2009. Response of six oilseed rape genotypes to water stress and hydrogel application. Pesquisa Agropecuária Tropical. 39: 43-250.
24. Fattahi-Neisiani, F. Modarres Sanavy, S.A.M. Ghanati, F., Dolatabadian, A.. 2009. Effect of Foliar Application of Pyridoxine on Antioxidant Enzyme Activity, Proline Accumulation and Lipid Peroxidation of Maize (Zea mays L.) under Water Deficit. Notulae Botanicae Horti Agrobotanici Cluj-Napoca. 37: 116-121.
25. Dolatabadian, A., Modarres Sanavy, S.A.M. 2008. Effect of the Ascorbic Acid, Pyridoxine and Hydrogen Peroxide Treatments on Germination, Catalase Activity, Protein and Malondialdehyde Content of Three Oil Seeds. Notulae Botanicae Horti Agrobotanici Cluj-Napoca 07/2008; 36: 61-66.
26. Dolatabadian, A.Modarres Sanavy, S.A.M. Chashmi, N.A. 2008. The Effects of Foliar Application of Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) on Antioxidant Enzymes Activities, Lipid Peroxidation and Proline Accumulation of Canola (Brassica napus L.) under Conditions of Salt Stress. Journal of Agronomy and Crop Science. 194:206-213.
27. Ahmadi-Rad, S. Gholamhoseini, M. Ghalavand, A. Asgharzadeh, A. Dolatabadian, A.. 2016. Foliar application of nitrogen fixing bacteria increases growth and yield of canola grown under different nitrogen regimes. Rhizosphere. 2:34-37.
29. Bhavna Hurgobin, Agnieszka A Golicz, Philipp E Bayer, Chon‐Kit Kenneth Chan, Soodeh Tirnaz, Aria Dolatabadian, Sarah V Schiessl, Birgit Samans, Juan D Montenegro, Isobel AP Parkin, J Chris Pires, Boulos Chalhoub, Graham J King, Rod Snowdon, Jacqueline Batley, David Edwards.2018. Homoeologous exchange is a major cause of gene presence/absence variation in the amphidiploid Brassica napus. Plant biotechnology journal. pp. 1-10
30. Fatemeh Etemadi, Masoud Hashemi, Omid Zandvakili, Aria Dolatabadian, and Amir Sadeghpour. 2018. Nitrogen Contribution from Winterkilled Faba Bean Cover Crop to Spring-Sown Sweet Corn in Conventional and No-Till Systems. Agronomy Journal, 10(2)1-8
31. Parisa Hemmati, Doustmorad Zafari, Seyed Bagher Mahmoodi, Majid Hashemi, Majid Gholamhoseini, Aria Dolatabadian and Reza Ataei. 2018. Histopathology of charcoal rot disease (Macrophomina phaseolina) in resistant and susceptible cultivars of soybean. Rhizosphere, 7: 27-34
1. Aria Dolatabadian: Nodulation and Nitrogen Fixation of Transformed Soybean Hairy Roots by Agrobacterium rhizogenes Affected by Genistein and Salt Stress. VIPCA; Austria, 2012
2. Aria Dolatabadian: Effects of Genistein on Nodulation, Nitrogen Fixation and Physiological Attributes of Soybean under Salt Stress. TROPENTAG; Germany, 2011
3. Aria Dolatabadian, Jacqueline Batley, David Edwards, Martin Barbetti, Bhavna Hurgobin and Philipp Bayer. Association of Copy Number Variation with Qualitative and Quantitative Resistance against Leptosphaeria maculans in Brassica napus. Brassica 2016, Melbourne, Australia, 2016
4. Sheng Chen, Alice Hayward, K. P. Witt Hmon, S. S. Dey, Fabian C. Inturrisi, Aria Dolatabadian, Ting Xiang Neik, Hua Yang, Matthew N. Nelson, Neil C. Turner, Kadambot H. M. Siddique, Wallace A. Cowling, Jacqueline. Batley. Genome-wide association analyses provide genomic insights into natural variation in heat tolerance of Brassica rapa. Brassica 2016, Melbourne, Australia, 2016
5. Jacqueline Batley, Aria Dolatabadian, Hua Yang, Anita Severn-Ellis, Salman Alamery, Reece Tollenaere, Philipp E. Bayer, Bhavna Hurgobin, Agnieszka Golicz, David Edwards. The More the Merrier? Investigating Copy Number Variation in Brassica Disease Resistance. PAG ASIA, 2016.
6. Fabian C. Inturrisi, Soodeh Tirnaz, Philipp E. Bayer, Ting Xiang Neik, Hua Yang, Aria Dolatabadian, Fangning Zhang, Anita Severn-Ellis, Dhwani A. Patel, Aneeta Pradhan, HueyTyng Lee, David Edwards and Jacqueline Batley. Genome-Wide Analysis of NBS-LRR Genes in the Brassicaceae and Applications for Breeding. PAG XXVI. 2018.
7. Aria Dolatabadian, Bhavna Hurgobin, Philipp E. Bayer, David Edwards and Jacqueline Batley. Characterisation of disease resistance genes in the Brassica napus pangenome. Brassica 2018, St-Malo, France, 2018.
8. Aria Dolatabadian, Philipp Bayer, David Edwards and Jacqueline Batley. Characterisation and genetic mapping of resistance genes in the Brassica napus pangenome. BioTalent Conference, Poland, 2018.
9. Aria Dolatabadian, Philipp E. Bayer, Soodeh Tirnaz, Bhavna Hurgobin, David Edwards and Jacqueline Batley. Characterisation of Resistance Genes in the Brassica napus Pangenome. PAG XXVII 2019.
10. Armin Scheben, Philipp E. Bayer, Aria Dolatabadian, Agnieszka Golicz, Bhavna Hurgobin, Soodeh Tirnaz, Kenneth Chon-Kit Chan, David Edwards and Jacqueline Batley. Brassica Pangenomes as a Novel Source of Disease Resistance Genes. PAG XXVII 2019.
1. Dolatabadian A, Yang H, Batley J. Case Study for Trait-Related Gene Evolution: Disease Resistance Genes in Brassica napus. In: The Brassica napus genome (Ed Shengyi Liu, Rod Snowdon and Boulos Chalhoub) Springer (India) pp 223-232.
Room 1.122, School of Biological Sciences, Faculty of Science
The University of Western Australia
Crawley, WA 6009, Perth, Australia