Ting Xiang (Tina) Neik
Ting Xiang (Tina) is from Malaysia. She graduated from Monash University Sunway Campus and University of Malaya with B.Sc (Biotechnology) and M. Biotechnology degrees. Before joining UWA as a PhD student, she did lecturing work at tertiary level, and was also involved in a weedy rice project. Her hobbies are reading and enjoying nature.
Genomics, crop evolution, plant-pathogen interaction
1-Genome-wide polymorphism between resistant and susceptible B. napus cultivars towards blackleg pathogen, L. maculans
2-Identification of candidate Avr genes in Leptosphaeria maculans
Brassica napus (canola/oilseed rape) is one of the most highly valued food crops in the world. However, this important crop is affected by blackleg disease, which has potential yield loss of up to 90% in some Australian canola growing regions. Blackleg disease is caused by Leptosphaeria maculans, which is host specific to Brassica crops. Although several single dominant resistance genes against L. maculans (Rlm genes) have been genetically mapped through QTL analysis in B. napus, it remains unknown if these genes are different genes or allelic variants. Tina's project aims to resolve this situation. Her study will define the basis for characterising the single dominant gene(s) involved in the B. napus-L. maculans interaction, a critical step towards producing new varieties of B. napus with more effective resistance against the blackleg pathogen.
1. Neik, T.X., Cai, J. Y., Tan, S. Y., Cui, Y, Jayaraj, J., Teo, S. S., Olsen, K. M. O., Song, B. K. (2019). When West meets East: The origins and spread of weedy rice between continental and island Southeast Asia (Submitted to the Heredity Journal, reference number: HDY-18-A0433)
2. Neik, T.X., Batley, J., Barbetti, M.J., Balesdent, M.-H., Rouxel, T. (2019). Source of Leptosphaeria maculans differential isolates and Brassica napus genotype determine disease phenotypic expression (In preparation, to be submitted to the Molecular Plant Pathology Journal)
3. Tirnaz, S., Bayer, P.E., Inturrisi, F.C., Zhang, F., Yang, H., Dolatabadian, A., Neik, T.X., Severn-Ellis, A., Patel, D., Ibrahim, M., Pradhan, A., Edwards, D., Batley, J. (2018). Resistance gene analogs in the Brassicaceae: Identification, characterization and evolution. Plant Physiology (Submitted, MSID: PP2018-RA-01226)
4. Neik, T.X., Barbetti, M.J., Batley, J. (2017). Current status and challenges in identifying disease resistance genes in Brassica napus. Front Plant Sci, 8: 1788
5. Davidson, P., Roslan, S., Omar, Z., Abdullah, M. C., Looi, S. Y., T. T. X., Neik, Yong, B. (2018). Validation of competing structural models of inter-relationships in the teaching-learning ecosystem for two Malaysian STEM courses. Asia Pacific Education Review. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12564-018-9567-0
6. Neik, T.X., Song, B.K., Davidson, P. (2016). Popularity of various teaching methods in a post-secondary Biology class of a Malaysian private institution. ASEAN Journal of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education (AJTLHE), 8(1), 1-25
7. Sudianto, E., Song, B.K., Neik, T.X., Saldain, N.E., Scott, R.C., & Burgos, N.R. (2013). Clearfield® rice: Its development, success, and key challenges on a global perspective. Crop Protection, 49, 40-51
8. Sudianto, E., Neik, T.X., Tam, S.M., Chuah, T.S., Idris, A. A., Olsen, K.M., Song, B.K. (2013). Morphology of Malaysian weedy rice (Oryza sativa): diversity, origin and implications for weed management. Weed Science, 64, 501-512
Conference proceedings including poster/oral presentation
1. Neik, T.X., Barbetti, M.J., Severn-Ellis, A., Bayer, P.E., Chan, C.K.K., Edwards, D., Batley, J. (2018). Identification of blackleg R genes in B. napus using next-generation sequencing approach. Plant and Animal Genome XXVI Conference, P29339. San Diego, CA, USA, January 13-17.
2. Inturrisi, F. C., Tirnaz, S., Bayer, P. E., Neik, T. X., Yang, Hu., Dolatabadian, A. Zhang, F., Severn-Ellis, A., Patel, D., Pradhan, A., Lee, H. T., Edwards, D., Batley, J. (2018). Genome-Wide Analysis of NBS-LRR Genes in the Brassicaceae and Applications for Breeding. Plant and Animal Genome XXVI Conference. San Diego, CA, USA, January 13-17.
3. Neik, T.X., Barbetti, M. J., Edwards, D., Batley, J. (2016). Identification of candidate resistance gene towards Leptosphaeria maculans in Brassica napus. Brassica 2016 Conference, P023, Melbourne, Australia, 3-6 Oct.
4. Chen, S., Hayward, A., Hmon, K.P.W., Dey, S.S., Inturrisi, F.C., Dolatabadian, A., Neik, T.X., Yang, H., Nelson, M. N., Turner, N. C., Siddique, K. H. M., Cowling, W. A., Batley, J. (2016). Genome-wide association analyses provide genomic insights into natural variation in heat tolerance of Brassica rapa, paper presented at the Brassica 2016 Conference, Melbourne, Australia, 3-6 Oct.
5. Song, B.K., Sudianto, E., Neik, T.X., Olsen, K.M. (2013). Malaysian weedy rice shows its true stripes. Plant and Animal Genome XXI Conference, P0717. San Diego, CA, USA, January 12-16.
Ting Xiang Neik (Tina)
Room 1.122, School of Biological Sciences, Faculty of Science
The University of Western Australia
Crawley, WA 6009, Perth, Australia